‘Being a leader’ entails these behaviours and competencies:
- Thinks strategically, taking an open and long-term view of possibilities
- Articulates a clear vision, engaging others in the process
- Acts purposefully and decisively to enable the achievement of goals and objectives
- Takes responsibility and acts with integrity based on strong self-awareness and continuous reflection
- Shows courage, resilience and creativity in approaching problems and difficult decisions
- Leads inclusively and champions equality and diversity
These guides aim to support the development of leadership skills: strategic thinking, management of yourself and your work, and understanding of the wider responsibilities of leadership such as awareness of risk, inclusivity, and integrity.